Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Deep, deep, blue.




I'm working on a writing project this week for a class. I've been asked to write a personification poem from the perspective of an animal, object, or plant. I can either address this animal, object, or plant using the 2nd person point of view or I can use 1st person, as the animal, object, or plant. Phew. That was a lot of animal, object, and plants.

Anyways, I have been looking out at the world with this project in mind this week. It changes everything. When observing the world as a possible symbol for something innately human, everything becomes more human. A dandelion is not just a flower, it is bowing its head in shame. Two metal hangers are not just there to hold your clothes, they are swaying, tapping each other lightly on the shoulder. For me, this makes the world feel like a disney cartoon--and I mean that in the best possible way.

This morning, I was poking around on the interwebs looking for interesting things and I found The Deep Book. It's a photo collection of creatures from the deep, deep sea. I'm fascinated by the deep of the ocean. It's like outerspace, but inverted somehow. The creatures are terrifying and beautiful. Check 'em out: http://www.thedeepbook.org/

I wish that, for one week, I could wander quietly along the bottom of the sea, safely observing the life below my own life where everything looks like something I have never seen before. Last quarter, we talked about pre-19th century American writers and the concept of perception. There's a theory somewhere that we must get mid-way between ourselves and any other object to see it as it truly is. Right now, these deep sea creatures are right in front of my nose. It's like magic.

No comments: