Friday, January 29, 2010

Swift striking nostalgia.

If I had the kind of mother who kept things from my childhood, I might still have (along with the very basic and very much missed baby pictures and things):



* A videorecording of the time the police came to my kindergarden class and introduced us to their police dogs. The local news came and videotaped it. They used a clip of a giant German Shepard leaping up and licking my face. (This may be the root of my fear of large dogs.)

* The videorecording of my second band playing a Halloween party in San Jose. I was wearing some kick ass white pleather go-go boots and a peach sixties short dress that I wish I still had but probably couldn't fit into anymore. This was the night I sang over my guitarist's solo by accident and he hissed loudly, "What are you doooooing?" (This may be the root of my insecurity on stage.)



* The photograph of our trip to Universal Studios, when I got picked to ride the E.T. bike and, for a few minutes, it looked like I had been the child picked to play Elliott in the movie. I was flying across the sky with an alien in my bike basket and the moon as my background. (This might be the root of my tendency to name all of my characters Elliott.)



* The tape recording of my first time singing in public at an open mic with my first band, which included Eric on bass and Dave on guitar. My sister said (and you could hear proof in the tape) that when I started singing, everyone became very quiet. (This may be the root of my desire to sing in public, even though it terrifies me.)

* All of those tons of mixed tapes I made by inserting a blank tape into the radio and pressing pause on the "record" button until I heard a song I liked. I spent thousands of hours, I'm sure, reading by my radio (which I still have), waiting for good songs to come on.

* All of those mixed tapes made for me by my musical compilation genius friends in high school.



* The binder filled with all of my letters in middle school and high school, to and from, my best friend Christina and/or my ex-boyfriend Jon. (This may be the root of my need to write things down over and over and over.)



* My pound puppy, Nilla.

No comments: