Thursday, January 08, 2009

The career choice of my alternate life.



There is something about the combination of music and movement that causes an emotional eruption in my heart. This choreographed dance first appeared on the show "So You Think You Can Dance" last year. I went searching the old youtube for the original but it had been removed. Ah, copyright laws. This, however, is a better version. The dancers must be highly trained because the subtle expression of movement is obvious to me, after having seen the contestants perform this dance. I mean, don't get me wrong, those two contestants were amazing. I watched them perform it over and over again. But this, shockingly, is even more effective.

It makes me cry and it gives me goosebumps. If I had another lifetime, knowing what I know now, this would be my career path. I'd be an effin contemporary dancer. You should see me attempt it now. The few people who have witnessed my attempts have laughed so hard that they shot stuff out of their noses. And no, they were not consuming beverages at the time.

But still. When I see this, I want to be able to do it. It amazes me that people are able to convey such arresting emotions using the movement of their bodies. I know, I know. People do it all the time. It's a form of language. The body language. I know. But still.

3 comments:

Melly said...

I remember us watching this in D.C. on YouTube. We must have watched it a million times! Amazing.

If we were sisters (again) in this alternate life - I'd follow your footsteps (ha ha, get it?) and be a dancer as well. Love it.

Katie McClendon said...

Did I also attempt to mimick the dance for you? Hilar.

Oh my gosh, we need to start a dance troupe in THIS life. Can we?

I mean, we started out with a promising career when Dawn taught us the moves to Madonna songs and Kerry showed us "LA" dance moves. (Try not to laugh while visualizing that.)

Drew ! said...

Amazing. I pretend dance to SYTYCD every week during the summer too. A lot of my friends/acquaintences are pro dancers, and I am horribly horribly jealous. I can actually stand en pointe in most shoes. And I actually liked a John Mayer song again, until the chorus.