Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Museum of Broken Relationships


My friend sent this link to me. It's one of the saddest and most amazing things I've seen all year (ha!).

I love it so much they will have to start a museum where I can put the things that remind me of my love for that museum where people can put things to remind people of the people they've loved. Try to say that three times fast. Or just once. I know it's a clunky sentence but I love it so.
The website is not so easy to navigate, but worth the attempt. You can actually look at electronic objects like emails and pictures from broken relationships. It reminds me of a few thousand emails I have, tucked away somewhere, from the person who shall not be named. Double sigh.

Here's the deal. The artists who created this concept believe that the objects from relationships carry with them a sort of memory of our experience. Rather than throw these things away, you should send them to Croatia, where artists will include the item in a travelling exhibit. They're showin' off your heartbreaks, darlings.

There's an ax that one woman used to chop up her ex-girlfriend's furniture. There is a teddy bear -- the one gift from a man the woman wasn't supposed to be dating. There's a set of mannequin hands, removed from the mannequin that "bore the brunt of a love-hate relationship". Amazing.

No comments: