Thursday, January 15, 2009

Steve Jobs, speechin' it up at Stanford.

Here are a few quotes from the speech:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma -- which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

This is a good reminder for me, considering some of the choices I've got to make this year. But, I wanted to share this with you too. Cause even though you have the option of being buried with your iphone in a coffin decorated like a box of chocolates, it's not the same as living. And living ends. I know, it's a little cheesy to be reminding people to remember that we are all mortal but jeez, whatever. I believe in it.

What would you do if this was your last day alive? Would everything be the same? What about if you only had a week? What would you do differently?

I'm off to answer those questions myself. Check ya later.

No comments: