Sunday, January 04, 2009

Cartoon versions of Adam West

I'm about to hunker down with my roomie and watch Batman Begins. I was the only person in the world who thought that Dark Knight could have been edited to speed up the plot. My roomie thinks it's because I haven't seen the other movies. I'm about to find out.


It's not that I don't like the comic book turned movie. I love them actually. It all started with Tank Girl. Sigh. That was a great comic book. The movie? Sucky. Let's be real. It sucks. But when I was a teenager and I wanted so desperately to be fierce instead of shy and awkward, Tank Girl was my hero. She is dirty and sexy and bold. Just the way I want to be.


When I was fifteen, I worked for the uncle of a friend. After school, a bunch of us would go to the warehouse space behind the local comic book store and spend hours packaging up comic books. Our boss (the uncle) only let us listen to one tape. Fleetwood Mac. Every day. For months. The other kids would smoke pot and drop acid before work. I usually said no thanks. One time, I ate some mushrooms before going to work and that was a hilariously bad day.


I loved Constantine, Hellblazer, Sandman, and Tank Girl. I still have a box of Sandman comics up in my closet. Good lord, it was a beautiful set of stories.


I find a particluar kind of humor ridiculously hilarious. It's the kind of humor that doesn't make logical sense. For instance, the Space Ghost Coast to Coast episode 44b, which fades to black and white and involves lots of random noises like phones ringing and symphony music.


Also, Harvey Birdman cartoons make me crack the heck up. Seriously. Like ridiculous, losing my mind, crying kind of laughter. I love it. In Season One, there is an episode called "The Mole". It makes me lose my sh-t. Every time.


I wanted to laugh today. Hard. I've actually read that laughter helps with the whole kickin' an addiction thing. So I went looking for my favorite kind of humor. I found a hilarious episode of Johnny Bravo (remember that show?) where Adam West shows up. I just have to say that every moment of the scene in the Chinese Restaurant makes me squeal with laughter. Jeez.


No comments: